Pharmacy intern FAQs in Australia
Key benefits of the Guild ITP
- The course almost pays for itself! At a market-leading price of only $1855 you receive all of the following added benefits for no extra cost!
- APP Conference Registration on the Gold Coast (worth $750)*
- Pharmacy Connect Conference Registration in Sydney (worth $450)^
- 12 month subscription to eMIMS (worth $295)
- 12 month subscription to eTG (worth $345)
- Better yet – flexible payment plans available with no hidden or extra fees!
- Exceptional support for both written and oral exams including; exclusive Guild ITP written exam practice modules, ‘mock exam’ sessions and a dedicated two-day oral exam preparatory workshop.
- Truly flexible program structure, allowing you to tailor a timeline that works for you. Complete the program in as little as six months or pace it out, up to nine months.
- The Guild ITP focuses on practical learning including clinical and professional studies, ensuring you walk away with ‘real world’ experience and training
- Unparalleled support from Guild ITP clinical tutors who are only ever an email or phone call away!
- Work-Life Balance: We understand the importance having a work-life balance so content is focused on the core requirements of your internship
- Be a sought after employee: Pharmacist owners respect and understand the expertise, depth of knowledge and experience of the Guild and its training programs.
The Guild ITP provides interns with a number of opportunities to prepare for both the Australian Pharmacy Council (APC) written examination and the Pharmacy Board of Australia (PBA) oral examination. Choose the Guild ITP and receive the following in exam preparation support:
- Exclusive Guild intern only MCQ practice exam modules to help you prepare for the APC written exam.
- ‘Mock written examination’ exercises in workshops, to provide you with the necessary hints, tips and strategies for success!
- Dedicated oral exam preparation 2-day workshop – fully interactive with case scenarios and discussions on each of the four key areas of the PBA oral exam.
- Written assignments as part of the Guild ITP provide targeted written and oral exam preparation.
- Support and friendly advice from our highly accessible Guild clinical tutors.
Yes! The Guild ITP offers a flexible timeline which can be tailored to suit your needs as an intern.
For interns who want to accelerate the program to focus on exam preparation, the Guild ITP can be completed in as little as six months. For interns who wish to complete the program at their own pace and ensure a comfortable work-life balance, the Guild ITP can be completed over nine months.
You do not need to nominate how you will complete the program upon enrolment – it is completely up to you to decide how you work through the program requirements, and your clinical tutors will be there along the way to provide assistance!
The Guild ITP workshops are an integral part of the Guild training experience, allowing interns an opportunity to meet with peers and learn in an interactive group environment. The Guild ITP comprises of two, 2-day workshops which are spaced strategically throughout the year, so that they may assist you in preparing for your written and oral exams. A summary of the Guild ITP workshops can be found below:
- Workshop I: Quality Use of Medicines (QUM) will be the main focus of the first workshop which will include clinical refreshers on various disease states including case studies and interactive learning opportunities. Relevant pharmacy industry updates will also be provided as well as ‘mock-exam’ sessions (e.g. calculations) to assist you in preparing for your APC written exam.
- Workshop II: A not to be missed workshop! Again focusing on working in groups and undertaking case studies, but with a specific and dedicated focus on getting you prepared for the all-important PBA oral examinations. Interns will have the opportunity to take part in exercises to mimic the four key components of the PBA oral exam as well as benefit from the experienced advice of our knowledgeable Guild clinical tutors in how to prepare for the big day.
Attending the APP conference is not a compulsory part of the Guild ITP. It is, however, highly recommended as you will gain full access to all four days of Australia’s largest pharmacy conference and trade show exhibition! We understand that travelling and re-arranging work commitments may also impede on your ability to attend so there is no need to attend all four days either! APP is held each year in March from Thursday to Sunday so attend on any day or time that suits you! Flexibility is key for the Guild ITP program.
Attending the Pharmacy Connect conference in Sydney is not a compulsory course component of the Guild ITP. It is, however, a great opportunity to be at the forefront of the latest business opportunities and initiatives and to stay abreast of changing regulations. The conference is held from Friday to Sunday, so you can attend all three days or just a few hours, the choice is yours!
Yes! The Guild ITP understands the financial pressures that interns face when embarking on full-time careers. The Guild ITP provides interns with a number of payment options, so you can choose a plan that suits you best.
- Option 1: Single payment of $1855 inc GST
- Option 2: 6 Monthly instalments of $309.16 inc GST
- Option 3: 8 Monthly instalments of $231.87 inc GST
Better yet, there are no extra or hidden fees applicable!
No*, you can enrol in the Guild ITP while you are waiting for your provisional registration and practice site to be approved by AHPRA. The Guild ITP will follow up with you to obtain the necessary documents to finalise your enrolment once you have received them.
*Please note that your provisional registration and supervised practice site must be approved by AHPRA before commencing Guild ITP course requirements.
For more information about applying for provisional registration and approval of supervised practice sites, please visit the Pharmacy Board of Australia website.
Yes! Your preceptor is automatically provided with:
- A comprehensive Guild ITP preceptor manual which details the program in its entirety including useful recommendations and advice.
- FREE access to four (4) x APC accredited CPD online educational modules to support preceptors in their role of effectively mentoring intern pharmacists.
- Phone and email support from Guild ITP Pharmacist tutors
If Pharmacists would like to know any more about becoming a preceptor please refer to the Pharmacy Board of Australia website.
Yes! In conjunction with the Australian College of Pharmacy (ACP), the Guild ITP has secured a significant discount for any enrolled interns who would like to complete the following diploma courses:
BSB51915 Diploma of Leadership and Management
Full price: $5329 | ACP Member price: $4329 | Guild Intern price: $3999
BSB50415 Diploma of Business Administration
Full price: $4249 | ACP Member price: $3249 | Guild Intern price: $2999
This is completely optional and available to interns who are interested in gaining a formal qualification in leadership management or business administration; interns can enrol in these courses at any time throughout their enrolment in the Guild ITP. Additionally, the ACP offers a FREE 12-month college membership when you enrol in a course!
Yes! Once an overseas trained Pharmacist has completed the relevant APC requirements and has an approved supervised practice site and provisional registration with AHPRA they can commence the Guild ITP. To find out more please refer to the below:
The Australian Pharmacy Council (APC) – available at: https://www.pharmacycouncil.org.au/pharmacists/overseas-trained-pharmacists/become-a-registered-australian-pharmacist/
Australian Health Practitioner Registration Agency (AHPRA) – The Pharmacy Board of Australia – available at http://www.pharmacyboard.gov.au/Registration/Overseas.aspx
The Guild ITP provides workshops at central locations in each state and territory. Interns can choose a location best suited to them, all across Australia!
Yes, it is an AHPRA requirement that all intern pharmacists have Professional Indemnity Insurance.
The good news is, you can access this insurance for FREE through PDL insurance. See their website for more information http://www.pdl.org.au/pharmacy-students-and-interns-membership-insurance
Please refer to our Interns Workshop page here